4.14.2012

Cheller

As those who are of a "hipper" class might be aware, this weekend is Weekend 1 of the well-known Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. While personally I am devastated that I cannot be in attendance, I thought I would compensate with a post about something along the lines of "what to wear at Coachella". Although I am passionately devoted to the sounds of Miike Snow, M83, SBTRKT, The Weeknd (Toronto's very own), Gotye, and DJ Shadow, just to name a few, at the end of the day I am here to discuss (namely) all things fashion. Right? Right. Yes, It is a little cloudy over in Palm Springs right now, but I am crossing my fingers that it'll warm up such that true Coachella vibes shall manifest in the form of clothing.
*Please note: all designer credits are listed from left to right and most definitions are courtesy of Urban Dictionary.

THE BODY SUIT
NOUN. leotardunitard, body suit, cat suit (a tight-fitting garment of stretchy material that covers the body from the shoulders to the thighs (and may have long sleeves or legs reaching down to the ankles); worn by ballet dancers and acrobats for practice or performance).

Ok, so in the context of Coachella, I think we can safely disregard the parts of the definition where "long sleeves" or "legs reaching down to the ankles" are mentioned; seeing as The free-spirited, indie/alternative, and flower-children wannabes running around the festival are far from covered. Actually, I would say that a large percentage of festival go-ers are closer to the "naked" side of things. In any event, below I have selected my favourites from the We Are Handsome bathing suit collections. Their graphics are bold, a happy medium between covered and bare, serve the purpose of a bathing suit as well as a statement tee, and ultimately suit the Coachella style perfectly.
WE ARE HANDSOME

THE GRAPHIC TEE
NOUN. A T-shirt that has a mess of colors and irregular designs by designers.

I mean really, there isn't much to elaborate on. I know that I am always looking for a cool tee to throw on with any pair of jean shorts, not to mention the great feeling that comes when you receive a compliment about the trill illustrative $#@! resting on your chest's canvas... fiend it.
SANDRO, A.P.C., A.P.C., MAJE, THE KOOPLES, MAJE

 THE SHORT SHORTS (1), JEAN SHORTS (2), and HIGH-WAISTED SHORTS (3)
(1) NOUN. Shorts worn short enough for your junk to hang out; worn by runners because they are "supposed" to make you run faster 

(2) NOUN. If worn by a female, acceptable and fashionable to all standards, regardless of year.

(3) NOUN. Being hipster is wearing high-waisted shorts; to wear shorts very high-waisted so it looks like you have a long crotch.


I'd like to think the definitions say it all. Oh, but I would suggest one garment of each style (you know, for variety of image and availability of choice sake).
MISSONI shorts, DANNIJO bracelets, CURRENT/ELLIOTT shorts, DRIES VAN NOTEN x LINDA FARROW glasses, CURRENT/ELLIOTT shorts, ILLESTEVA glasses, CURRENT/ELLIOTT shorts, DANNIJO cuffs, ACNE shorts

THE KNAPSACK (1), HEADDRESS (2), AND HIPSTER SUNNIES (3)
(1) NOUN. Another term for backpack, yet not quite as popular; Used mostly in the early-mid 1900's by New Yorker's.

(2) NOUN. A thing you put on your head.

(3) NOUN. Plastic/metal/glass instruments placed over the eyes to block out harmful UV rays; celebrities use them to disguise themselves as normal people. Normal people use them to disguise themselves as celebrities.

So aside from the last one, the definitions above were definitely, well, pretty damn blatant. Anyhow, in terms of Coachella, I shall add a few comments. If I were attending, a knapsack would be a necessity. Being on your feet from 2PM until 2AM each day, it can be uncomfortable to carry your items in a) your hand b) a messenger and c) a handbag. The knapsack is great because not only can you make a statement with a vivid pattern or colour, but you can also pack for unpredictable weather or the shift from day to night.

 The headdress is just, well, cool. It not only adds some life to an outfit, but pulls your hair back if you're like me and the wind can be a nasty obstacle to face when trying to focus on, in this case, a musical performance. 

And finally, the sunnies. Aside from their more practical usage, they are just the definition of hipster. I would say stick to round frames, unless, of course, some geometric Karen Walker $!@* comes your way.

MISSONI headbands, ILLESTEVA glasses, VANS (blue) backpack, FJALLRAVEN KANKEN (green) backpack, CARVEN (multicoloured) backpack, STELLA MCCARTNEY glasses

THE "NOT SO WARM" SWEATER (1), THE BOOTIES (2), THE SNEAKERS (3)
(1) NOUN. A garment that is used to increase body temperature (unless of course, it has holes as seen above, in which case it has no purpose but to look indie).

(2) NOUN. A woman's boot... cut in half.

(3) NOUN. Shoes that are intended to look as worn-in and alternative as possible.

Although the festival is in the Palm Springs Desert, as seen yesterday, there is always the chance of some cooler temperatures. Thus, it is important to come prepared, but also remain stylish should the day turn to grey. 

And lastly, in terms of shoes, though I rarely preach comfort, I do think that it is crucial to remember: you will be on your feet for 12 hours of the day, walking great lengths from one stage to another. Luckily, however, thanks to Acne, Isabel Marant, Supergas, comfort no longer requires the trade-off of fashion.

THEYSKENS THEORY sweater, WILDFOX sweater, WILDFOX sweater, THE ROW x SUPERGAS sneakers, ISABEL MARANT (green) booties, ACNE (beige) booties

So there you have it, Coachella in a nutshell (clothing wise, that is). For those of you at the festival, three words: I hate you (just kidding... I envy you). For those of you dying as you watch the live streaming online, I invite you to join me at my place to watch the performances while eating tubs of ice cream and wallowing in self-pity.

There's always next year...xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My favourite part of having a blog is knowing others read my foolish thoughts. I'd love to hear from you folks...